I don’t really consider myself to be a reflective person. I don’t look back on my past, or regret my mistakes. But this marathon coming up has me thinking about my goals and whether or not they are realistic. My marathon PR is 3:18:43. My goal for Sunday is 2:55:00 or under. That’s a PR of almost 24 minutes! A huge increase, I know, but I feel like I am ready for it, and could probably even run a bit faster. Here are the reasons why:
- Weight at time of last PR, Oct 2011 – 185 lbs. Weight April 2011 when I ran a horrible marathon – 200 lbs. Current weight – 175 lbs.
- Insanity (which helped me lose the weight) helped me build my stamina, a stronger core, and taught me the meaning of digging deep.
- As of Sunday, I’ll have run 136 days consecutively. No days off. Consistency ensures success.
- Since changing my form after switching to barefoot running, my legs no longer hurt at the end of long runs like they used to. This was the main factor in me trying (and switching) to barefoot running.
- I’ve trained, trained, and trained. One 22 mile run. Two 20 mile runs (one @ goal race pace of 6:37). 6 runs between 13.0 and 18.5 miles.
- I’ve actually run in the (minimalist) shoes I’m racing in this time, unlike the Mahomet Half.
- Since last year’s PR, I’ve greatly improved my diet and actually eat the way an athlete should.
- There’s a big medal waiting for me at the finish!I’ve prepared, I have faith in my training, and I’m ready to unleash beast mode this weekend. I’ll definitely be posting about the race here afterwards.
I’ve prepared, I have faith in my training, and I’m ready to unleash beast mode this weekend. I’ll definitely be posting about the race here afterwards.